August 4, 1880
Dear Diary,
Today I thought I was going to die. A band of about 100 hostile Indians attacked our camp at 9 am. I started running with my kids and we got away. I ran up to the cliff and sat up there to see what was happening. The Indians attacked but were repulsed. Captain Gielle, with two companions showed up. A sharp engagement with troops and Indians took place which lasted 3 hours. Lieutenant Colladay was wounded, one solider and eight horses were killed. At 2 pm Captains Nolan's command arrived on scene and all of the Indians fled. They lost the Indians and could not find them. But at least only one human fatality occurred and that my family is okay.
Powerful. Sounds like you need to move camps.
ReplyDeleteGreat Job! Glad the family is okay.
ReplyDeleteWicked!
ReplyDeleteI like the first person perspective of an Indian attack. Good job.
ReplyDeleteNeat! You should probably go on a picnic next time instead of camping.
ReplyDelete